|Posted by Gamuchirai on June 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM|
Reading opens the door to success. This may sound like an overused cliché! Actually the proper saying is, education opens the door to success. A bit of an exaggeration, maybe, but I really believe reading, which makes all the education possible does lead to success. Fortunately scientists and researchers have enough facts to prove this to be true. Parents are by far the most important educators in a child’s life and it’s never too young for a child to start, even if you’re only reading with your child for a few minutes a day. Here are some ten good reasons why you may need to invest in ensuring your child know how to read.
1. Children who read often get much better at it and can read fast. As it happens a grade 2 child should be able to read 60 words per minute. That means they should be able to recognise their level words in a second.
2. Reading improves a child’s comprehension skills, which means that they get better at other subjects such as maths, history, geography and science etc. which require one to read and understand what has been written.
3. Reading improves a child’s vocabulary and leads to more highly-developed language skills. They have richer vocabulary.
4. Reading helps improves a child’s concentration skills…an important skill in learning.
5. Reading improves logical thinking skills, the ability to grasp abstract concepts, apply logic in various scenarios, recognize cause and effect, and utilize good judgment.
6. Reading exposes one to a bigger world, have better general knowledge, opens children to develop their imagination, learn new things and places far away from where they are.
7. Children who love to read for pleasure are more likely to fulfil their ambitions
8. Reading exercises the brain…much better than watching TV!
9. Knowledge is power, and books are full of it. It’s all hidden in letters and books and one has to read it.
10. Most importantly reading is fun! It helps one to relax.